Patients’ rights are covered by the Health and Disability Commissioner’s “Code of Health and Disability Services Consumers’ rights”, a copy of which is available on request.
A summary of your rights and responsibilities as a patient is set out below.
- Express your needs and be involved with the decision-making team (including nursing staff, doctors and allied health services) regarding your care at Selina Sutherland Hospital
- Informed consent to all treatment
- Withdraw consent or refuse treatment
- Respect for your individual, cultural and religious beliefs
- Access a second opinion about treatment
- Be treated with reasonable skill and care, consideration, dignity and privacy
- Know the identity of all staff attending to you
- Freedom from discrimination, coercion, harassment and exploitation
- Privacy of records according to the Health Information Privacy Code 1994, including all matters discussed with the team looking after you
- View any records of your stay at Selina Sutherland Hospital
- Make any suggestions, concerns or complaints to the team leader or hospital manager.
As a consumer of Selina Sutherland Hospital services we ask that you
- Aquaint yourself with, and abide by the rules and regulations of the hospital
- Provide all relevant information to the appropriate health professional about health, current medications, previous illnesses, treatments and family history of illness
- Ask for clarification or further explanation of anything you do not understand
- Co-operate with the health professionals who are giving the care and treatment, and inform them of any changes in health status
- Respect the privacy of other patients and to keep in confidence any information gained about them
- Respect other patients’ observations of religious, cultural and ethnic practices
- Show consideration to other patients with regard to noise levels and conduct of visitors
- Inform the hospital management of any complaint and/or recommendation
- Make prompt payment of all charges incurred
- Comply with Selina Sutherland Hospital’s Smoke-free site policy